HOW DOES THE INSTAGRAM ALGORITHM WORK?
The Instagram algorithm determines whether you see messages in your news overview based on three factors:
- Recency: A new Instagram post is given priority over an older post.
- Interests: In which type of content do you show interest? This is bundled and Instagram looks on the basis of these interests which posts are best for you.
- Relationship: What is your relationship with the people you follow? If you often interact with someone in the form of likes and comments, the photos of this person will be given priority in your news feed.
Instagram shows you matching content based on these three factors. Which content do you like a lot, where do you give a lot of responses, in which accounts do you show a lot of interest? But also how often you are online on Instagram. The more often you view your news feed, the more Instagram tries to give you new content. So it could just be that your photos posted 3 days ago are only now shown, which you had not seen at that time.
THESE ARE THE GREATEST FABLES ABOUT THE INSTAGRAM ALGORITHM:
- “My post did not appear in the news feed of my follower” : All photos and videos that are posted appear in the news feed. Posts that are interesting for the follower will end up at the top of his / her news feed. If you scroll down long enough you will eventually come across all posted photos and videos of everyone you follow.
- ‘By using more features you get more reach’ : You will not get higher in the news feed of your followers if you use more Stories, IGTV, Live videos or other options from Instagram. With these features you can show yourself more in different, creative ways.
- ‘With spam behavior you end up in the shadowban’ : The ‘shadowban’ does not exist. When you do things on Instagram that are actually not appreciated (spam behavior), it is not that you end up in a kind of spam filter. Of course your followers don’t appreciate that behavior, so don’t try it.
- ‘With a personal account I generate more reach’ : It doesn’t matter if you have a business or personal account. We recommend taking a business account. This gives you insight into your statistics and you can add options such as a ‘contact’ button to your account.
- ‘Videos get priority’ : Videos don’t get priority on photos. At first this was, but now the algorithm looks at what content you like. So you watch a lot of videos, then you will see more videos come by. If you view more photos, you will see more of them again.
DISCOVERY PAGE OF INSTAGRAM
When you tap on the magnifying glass, you will be taken to the discovery page. This page shows content that you are interested in. For example, do you watch a lot of posts about makeup, animals, sports? Instagram searches for the right content and in no time the discovery page is full of photos and videos about sports, for example. You can also search specifically for specific topics that Instagram has selected for you. The discovery page is a great example of how Instagram responds to your interests.
CLICK ON THE MAGNIFYING GLASS TO GO TO THE INSTAGRAM DISCOVERY PAGE.
STAND OUT ON INSTAGRAM? THE FOLLOWING TIPS WILL HELP YOU INCREASE YOUR REACH.
The Algorithm has made it more difficult to stand out on Instagram. What can you do about it? We share 6 tips that you can immediately apply to generate more reach on Instagram.
Also read: How do you generate more reach on Facebook?
1. OFTEN BEING ACTIVE ON INSTAGRAM
Post a new photo / video often on Instagram. The ideal frequency is approximately 1x per day and at least 3x per week. That way your followers will know when they can expect something new from you. Posting too often can cause irritation for your followers and if you post too little, you will simply be snowed under by all other content posted on Instagram. So stay active!
2. USE AS MANY OPTIONS AS POSSIBLE FROM INSTAGRAM
Instagram has more options than just placing photos and videos in your feed. What do you think of Instagram Stories, Highlights and Instagram TV? In addition to your photos and videos in the news feed, your followers regularly see a Storie from you and can always find it in your Highlights (when you highlight them). You can bundle and post your most beautiful (longer) videos / vlogs on Instagram TV. This way you can show yourself even more in different creative ways.
See Instagram as a social medium where you can combine your best moments in the form of photos and videos on one account and enjoy sharing them with the rest of the world.
3. INTERACTION: BUILD A BOND
Interact with your followers. Like and comment regularly on posts from others so that you stand out from them and their followers. In this way you show yourself and you build a bond with someone. People get the feeling that they get to know you and will also respond to your posts.
4. MAKE YOURSELF DISCOVERABLE
Use hashtags and geotags! With this you can be found. For example, if you use #interiordesign, your photo will be bundled under this hashtag together with all other photos with this hashtag. This way you can also create your own hashtag so that all photos of your company fall under this hashtag. You can also ensure that your customers start using this hashtag. The same goes for geotags. Do you have your own company? Then tag your business location in your posts! As we often tag Mark Bongers Academy in our photos. These photos are all bundled under the same geotag.
ADD HASHTAGS AND GEOTAGS TO THE POSTS YOU POST ON INSTAGRAM TO BE FOUND BETTER.
5. POST INTERESTING AND QUALITATIVE AND PHOTOS / VIDEOS
Make sure the content you post is interesting and qualitative. You can do this by posting many different photos so that it does not become too monotonous, but make sure that the photos that you post remain within your style. It is also important that the photos are of good quality, edit them if necessary with a photo editing app , so that the colors fit together nicely.
Photos with people on it get on average 20 to 30% more likes than photos without people on it. Show yourself or others, that immediately makes your photos a lot more personal.
6. CALL TO ACTION
Post content that elicits responses. Ask a question below your posts or occasionally post a personal story in which people recognize themselves. This way you lure people to post comments under your post, which on Instagram again sees interesting content. This can again ensure that you will appear higher in the news feed of your followers.
GO FOR IT!
In short, if you want to stand out on Instagram you have to put time into it. Especially at the beginning it is important that you build up your awareness and not let it weaken! Once you get going it will be a lot easier.
Use these tips, come up with fun content and go for it!